1. Health

Arizona Woman Fakes Breast Cancer, Spends Funds on Implants

By May 7, 2012

Fake Cancer Boob Job
Fake Cancer for Boob Job
Art Pam Stephan

Jami Lynn Toler, a 27-year old Arizona woman, told people that she had breast cancer. After successfully raising a bit more than $8,300, she handed over the money to a plastic surgeon, who performed "a standard boob job."

Toler told her cancer story to her family and co-workers, saying she would need a double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, as treatment for her breast cancer. Apparently she did not consult an oncologist nor a general surgeon, and has not had a breast biopsy. She wanted a breast augmentation - not a double mastectomy - and since she had no insurance, turned to Hallmark Hospice for help with fund raising and participated in several events that provided more than the $7,800 that she originally requested. When medical records showed that she had never had cancer and had indeed used the funds for non-medically necessary cosmetic surgery, she was arrested and charged with fraud and theft.

Will Toler get to enjoy her new curves from behind bars? Or will she have to surrender her implants? Perhaps she will have to repay the funds that she fraudulently obtained, as well as serve some time for pretending to have a deadly disease and receiving funds as a result. And, I wonder what she told her plastic surgeon before the augmentation procedure - make me look expensive?

Cancer fraud is a nasty exploitation of caring people who are willing to give money to help others who claim to be fighting a life-threatening disease. In previous cases, such as Brian Bonniwell - faked male breast cancer, and Ashley Anne Kirilow - faked treatment side effects by self-mutilation; these frauds played on the sympathies of people who gave up their time, money, goods, services, and sympathy. Even worse, people who fake cancer in any way are hurting those of us who actually do suffer from cancer - any type of cancer - and need help with bills. Cancer treatment is very costly and insurance doesn't cover 100% of the expenses. Many people don't have health insurance, which makes a cancer diagnosis a double disaster. Burned once or twice by a cancer faker, generous everyday people may never help with fund-raising again. That's what hurts survivors most - the betrayal of public trust creates an atmosphere of skepticism that makes many of us hide our wallets when somebody cries "I have cancer!" Those patients and their families who are genuinely in need may suffer because of the cancer fraud perpetrated by folks like Toler, who wanted money for breast implants - not breast cancer. For shame! Enjoy the curves, Jami Lynn, and hope to Heaven that you never really do get breast cancer - because in young women, it can be very very aggressive.

What would you do with this case? Leave a comment!

| Newsletter Signup | Forum | E-Course | Google+ |
Comments
May 9, 2012 at 8:48 am
(1) Niveen says:

Was it just an individual case or it became popular?

May 9, 2012 at 9:24 am
(2) Coral says:

A youngwoman in alberta did the same thing (fundraised fraudulently). To cover money that she had embezzled from her clients. I dont know how they could do that? The thought of asking someone for their hard earned money (even though i actually had cancer) makes me very uncomfortable. It makes me sad that they could do it, i am not judging them but one day they will be judged. I know that there are people that have to choose between medication and rent, so we need to be as generous as possible and hope that a fraud is not being perpetrated upon us!

May 9, 2012 at 10:17 am
(3) Becky Stockum says:

The angry side of me says jail time, pay back the money & actually give her a double mastectomy!! I am a true cancer survivor & did have a mastectomy. I don’t like someone taking advantage of other’s kindness & generosity. I am glad that I have been able to help several others with nice donations while they were going through their battles. But about to stop doing that because most haven’t even bothered to thank me. I was glad to help, but a simple thank you would have been real nice. We recently had a charity event locally for a 28 yr. old with Stage 4 & there were lots of questions from many people as to whether she was a genuine patient. Personally I have problems believing her story & wasn’t as generous as I could have been. I am not sure if I had a dbl. mastectomy on Thurs. that I could manage to put a t-shirt on for the event on Sat. & stay there for the whole thing—I would have wanted to be home & close to my bed.

May 9, 2012 at 10:23 am
(4) Debbie says:

I find this to be so very sad doesnt all these people that have helped these liars check with there doctors , surgeons and oncologist there’s got to be a better way before giving help to someone sayin they have cancer and can’t pay for it . I myself had a double mastocmy first lump they did a bio didn’t look good removed it and it was cancer thought all was good went back three months later and four new lumps deep in the tissue on the right side and three on the left that looked totally different I say four different doctors for the opinions and instead of being hacked decided to go for a full double mastectomy because of the last lump they found was cancerous my insurance had paid 100% of every single surgery ally meds everything and still are I have had over 7 surgeries for reconstruction and still not right it’s a very long and painful time to have to go through all this it’s been going on now for well now in the third year I cannot believe someone would take money for other people on to be ruthless with no care I the world that is the saddest thing I have ever heard I hope all fundraisers erc start checking before they donate because I have seen first had people say there selling this for a walk to support breast cancer yet the money is gone they kept it for themselfs that’s another issue people asking for and selling things for walks etc and getting the money and keeping it there have got to be better guideline as far as donations and fundraising it needs to be done in a very legal matter because anyone can go and make things and say there selling the for a walk to support the aunt etc but yet they keep the money medical records should be demanded

May 9, 2012 at 10:24 am
(5) m van says:

I had a double mastectomy then 6 month later implants .I paid for what the insurance didn’t with a payments plan worked out thought my plastic surgeon. I dislike her saying she had BREAST CANCER just to get large breast. this is a disgrace for us who had or lost some one to breast cancer. I think she should pay the money it would of cost to have this done and also make payment to the American Cancer Society untill then amount she got from the fund raising

People lie you should be a shame of your self

May 9, 2012 at 11:35 am
(6) kelly says:

I just had a double mastectomy on March 12th. Now going through reconstruction. Just one hospital bill was over $70,000.00. She wants to claim to have breast cancer, well she is welcome to help with my expenses. I had no help from fundraisers, and my husbands $200 a week pay check dont go far after paying bills. Most days I wonder how are we even going to eat. And to know there is cancer patients worse off than me. She really should be made do alot of time.

May 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm
(7) Sherry says:

I think she should do the time and be made to pay the money back she “stole” from the one’s that actually are suffering from this dreaded disease. Cancer has hit my family 2 times in one year. 1st my baby sister was just 36 when she found out she had breast cancer.She has went through hell and is still enduring the pain and suffering that this disease does to you. Thank God she is a survivor, but the scars and pain are still there and will never go away.

One years later to the same day, our mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She also had to endure all the pain and suffering that this disease does. She only made it for 7 1/2 months until God decided to take her home.

I cant believe someone would want to say they have this horrible disease. I wonder if they have ever seen what it actually does to a person’s body, mind, spirit, and their family. Losing a loved one to this is one of the hardest things to do.

I just hope she can explain why she did this when her time comes to face God’s judgement. if she thinks people here are upset, wait until she meets him.

May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm
(8) Marie says:

Cancer is such a horrible disease, never imagined I could think of anyone evil enough to wish it upon…. However, a person who fakes cancer in order to defraud honest people should be rewarded with a Stage IV diagnosis of their very own.

May 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm
(9) Ann says:

There is a saying: “Virtue is it’s own reward.” The opposite is also true.
What people do can come back & bite them & it does. Whether anyone else finds out the truth or not what people do, does come back to them.

It’s sad that anyone would so misuse others & even sadder that the help could have been extended to someone who really needed it, & saddest of all: the misuse/abuse could cause those who would help others to be less likely to extend that help in the future. There are no winners in a situation like this. Last year I had surgery to remove one of my breasts (cancer.) I’m surviving breast cancer, & thank God for the insurance, prayers & everything that went into my brush with cancer.

May 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(10) ma says:

Obviously they are not going to make her take them out, so she will do the time n then be free to enjoy her new breasts…so I say something drastic has to be done to teach these people a lesson, but what?

May 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(11) Becky Stockum says:

No one’s medical records are ever available to anyone other than medical personnel/ins. companies or someone you have signed an authorization stating that they can be released to them. That is private information! So only way that I know of to check on someone for a benefit is to talk to people who know them. We live in a small community & several of the people that I have helped, I have known family members or friends of theirs. This last gal, I talked to several involved with the benefit & as much as they were able to check, the gal was genuine—-but the questions I heard & her actions made me doubt her.

May 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(12) m van says:

i say jail time and have her repay the money back to the American Cancer society. I had a double mastectomy, expander then 6 month later implants I have no pity for this lady except she does not have cancer