1. Health

Maura Tierney Needs a Doctor for Breast Cancer

By July 14, 2009

Maura Tierney
Maura Tierney
Photo © Nancy Ostertag/Getty Images
Maura Tierney, the 44-year old actress who is best known for her role as Abby Lockhart on the TV drama "ER," has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She will soon undergo surgery to remove a breast tumor. It appears that the actress discovered a lump during a routine BSE, saying "I have discovered a tumor in my breast which requires surgery." When trying to clarify her health problem, Ms. Tierney stated that, "I will not know either my exact diagnosis or course of treatment until that surgery is performed." Maura Tierney said that her doctors advised her "this is a very treatable condition," and so she's "very optimistic as to the outcome." I hope this hint means that whenever her diagnosis is revealed, it is early-stage breast cancer, which may be treated with surgery, radiation, and hormonal therapy.

Maura Tierney is a supporter of breast health awareness, having given her support to the Komen Foundation in 2005, when she joined her fellow"ER" docs in Ford Motor Co.'s “Tie It On for the Cure” silk scarf campaign. Komen's ads for the scarf, which was designed by Lilly Pulitzer, featured the Women of ER - Maura Tierney, Laura Innes, Sherry Stringfield, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini.

Ms. Tierney was set to star in NBC's new series "Parenthood," due to hit the air in September, but production has been delayed for eight weeks, until more is known about her diagnosis and treatment plans. Ms. Tierney has worked in television, feature films, and Broadway productions. She is a versatile actress, having acted in comedy and drama, and has been nominated and awarded for her film and TV roles. Ms. Tierney would like to be private about her health, but NBC's press release contained wording that apparently caused alarm. The press release said simply that the actress was "undergoing medical evaluation for an undisclosed illness."

| Twitterstream | Newsletter Signup | Forum |
Comments
July 14, 2009 at 11:10 pm
(1) Pandy says:

A tumor does not necessarily mean cancer, and as she stated that her diagnosis was not yet known, it is irresponsible to print otherwise. Please retract your statement.

July 15, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(2) Pam Stephan says:

Pandy, the actress herself said, “I have discovered a tumor in my breast which requires surgery.” I continue to hope it is not cancer. But her doctors have already biopsied it, which means she has a preliminary diagnosis (not a comprehensive diagnosis). She is expecting to have treatment following the surgery.

September 1, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(3) Sheryl says:

I would like to know if anybody has an update on what has happened with Maura since mid-July and her results.

September 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm
(4) Yves says:

To Maura Tierney with all our love…
Tell her to eat lots of fruits and plants and to stay away from Synthetic Chemical food. They were created for us. Plants and fruits are our meat and food. Chemical food burns inside of you i.e. cancer/rust, STOP eating Synthetic Chemical Food, which is not food, and your Cancer will stop burning you. Plants and Fruits keeps on growing and Synthetic Chemical Food Burns and Kills.
It is up to you!
Bonne appetit…
Love you all
One of God’s Creations
3 rats, one ate nothing is alive, second ate the content and died and the third one ate the box and manage to survive a bit longer but died. Funny but true story or experiment.

October 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm
(5) CP says:

Not all early stage breast cancers are treated with a lumpectomy, radiation and hormonals. Aggressive high grade tumors like HER2+ and triple negatives or hormonal negatives are almost always, regardless of the stage, treated with an aggressive course of chemotherapy. Please get your facts straight – this type of assumption compounds the lie that all early stage breast cancers carry the same treatment and prognosis, when that is indisputably not the case.

October 15, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(6) L.I. says:

The writer wrote that early-stage breast cancer MAY be treated with lumpectomy, radiation, and hormone therapy (e.g., Tamoxifen), not that it necessarily WILL be–though more often than not it is.

In fact, I know from direct experience that early-stage breast cancer is sometimes treated more aggressively: I had a mastectomy for DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ), in large part because of my relatively young age. But I’d just like to cut the writer a little slack here!

Ms. Tierney is an exceptionally gifted actress, and I hope we’ll soon hear that her prognosis is excellent.

L.I.

October 29, 2009 at 3:56 pm
(7) anita says:

OMG God Bless her. I hope she recovers. She is one of my fav actresses!

November 28, 2009 at 10:38 am
(8) Rodrigo says:

OMG! I discovered it, some minutes ago, when I was looking for pictures about her, in Internet…I wish her lots of luck, success; if depend of me (and lOTS OF FANS!), she will be okay (to be clear: she wouldn´t be sick)…
Mrs Tierney: I love you!!!!!!

Rodrigo (from Brazil).

September 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(9) b-girl says:

Treatable does NOT mean curable. I have the same kind of cancer that she has, and I know what the doctors say. Yes you can treat just about anything, but cure does not go hand in hand with that statement. So, good luck to her and all other bc patients because there is no CURE!