1. Health

Abortion, Birth Control Pills, Raises Breast Cancer Risk

By January 8, 2010

birth control pills
Birth Control Pills
Photo ©
Getty Images/Barr Laboratories

In 2003, the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI) sought to reassure women that using birth control pills would not raise their risk for breast cancer. NCI also told women that having an abortion was not a risk factor for breast cancer. Now it turns out that a study published in April 2009 by Jessica Dolle and other researchers of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center appears to show just the opposite: oral contraception (OCs) is linked with an increased risk for triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) in women who are 45 years old and younger. The research paper, "Risk factors for triple-negative breast cancer in women under the age of 45 years," was published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. This research paper features a table of risk factors, which includes oral contraception use, tobacco and alcohol consumption, number of births, breastfeeding, and induced abortion.

Dolle's research shows that if you started taking birth control pills before age 18, your risk for TNBC is increased by 3.7 times. If you've been using The Pill within the last one to five years, your TBNC risk is raised 4.2 times. Triple-negative breast cancer is aggressive and strikes women who are under 40, and many victims are African Americans. Survival odds for TBNC are lower than average, compared to other types of breast cancer.

As if that news were not alarming enough, a statement in this paper refers to induced abortion as a factor that is associated with an increased breast cancer risk. One of the study co-authors, Louise Brinton, spearheaded the 2003 NCI workshop about the abortion-breast cancer link (referred to as ABC). That workshop made every effort to assure women that having an induced abortion was not linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, and that research did not support an ABC link. Keep in mind that this paper discusses only one study.

Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2002, I took birth control pills for about 5 years. They prevented conception, made me a little queasy, but seemed otherwise harmless. In those days, the hormones in The Pill were lower than contraceptives that were produced in the 1980's, so I thought they were safe. After all, a doctor prescribed them for me - so no health risk, right? Maybe they were wrong! As soon as my breast lump was detected on a mammogram, when I was 46 years old, I was told to stop taking The Pill. That was one year before NCI told us that The Pill would not raise my risk for breast cancer. Now, I wish I'd never taken it. Perhaps one's risk is not as simple as taking The Pill, or eating a healthy diet, or having a genetic mutation - but if my risk is lower now because of being off contraceptives and never having had an abortion, I'm glad there's something I can do. I just wish we could have as much information as possible, to reduce our risk of breast cancer.

Update 1/14/2010: Based on your feedback and on getting a copy of this research paper, I have been rethinking and revising this blog post. Having read the research myself, I have a better understanding of the table data and their implications. Look for a new blog post on this, in which I will clarify the impact of this study, in relation to the NCI's 2003 Workshop.

What do you believe about abortion, birth control pills, and breast cancer risk? Sound off - leave a comment below.

| Twitterstream | Newsletter Signup | Forum |
Comments
January 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(1) Elizabeth says:

I’ve always been told by doctors that taking the pill increases the risk of breast cancer, but they always emphasized that it also reduced the risk of other cancers. But this is the first time I’ve heard of a like with abortion. The link with the pill makes sense because of the hormones you are ingesting, but why abortion specifically? I thought pregnancy reduced the risk. And does that mean miscarriage also increases the risk?

January 8, 2010 at 1:13 pm
(2) Maisey says:

The abortion / breast cancer risk has been known for years but dismissed as an argument right to lifers inflated.

I was told that the pill protected against ovarian cancer but that there was a slight increased risk of breast cancer 3-4% increase is not slight.

As a woman in her 30s who grew up surrounded by cultural messages saying we were “empowered” by the fact that we could control fertility and choose our own life’s path b/c of these breakthroughs, I realize I was naive. My friends who aborted a child suffered greatly medically and emotionally. Women I know on the pill may be at increased risk for cancer and I can’t help but feel that their later struggles with fertility were tied to years of trying to control their cycles through hormone contraception.

Often, international and national laws talk about “women’s rights” and “women’s health” when they legistate access or availability of birth control and abortions. But really – are these things helping us or are they manipulating women and putting us in danger so that government can regulate the population better?

January 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm
(3) VTM says:

This issue always raises a lot of red flags – the science that supports the ABC link always seems questionable and proponents hold up a few individual studies against 100′s of other well designed studies that show there is no link between abortion and breast cancer. The authors of the press release this article is based on make the leap from one person who is associated with NCI (Louise Brinton) co-authoring an article to calling out the entire NCI for not releasing this info…tsk tsk tsk. That was the purpose of the consensus conference in 2003 – to pull together all the research and come to…well…a consensus. And it is curious that they only ever talk about induced abortion and never miscarriages…

January 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(4) EAR says:

A successfully completed pregnancy will negate the effects of a miscarried/aborted pregnancy. Since women who miscarry are far more likely to get pregnant in order to try to have a baby, you will see a difference in outcomes.

Breastfeeding actually reduces a woman’s chances of breast cancer, and longer is (beyond 6 months or a year) is better.

One of the ways the contraceptives work is by preventing a zygote from implanting, or hindering the health of the embryo after implantation, inducing a chemical miscarriage at the time of the next episode of bleeding. If this is true, women on contraceptives may be serial miscarriage sufferers, basically compounding the abortion/miscarriage effect several times to reach the 300% increase reported for contraception. The only way to determine this would probably be to compare women who are on contraception but not actually sexually active v. women who are using contraception and are sexually active.

Any study also needs to take into account the length of contraceptive use. I think that longer term studies, taken of women using the pill for longer periods of time show more conclusively the connection, where many of the hundreds used to deny the connection failed to take into account the length of exposure.

January 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm
(5) B in Kansas says:

@VTM

I’ve heard the points in your combox before, but I’m not convinced we can wave this off as pro-life activists in the US. Not only does it appear reasonable for there to be a link for the reasons listed above, in the past year alone, Turkey and China (neither of which are associated with nor particularly friendly toward US pro-life groups) published studies linking abortion to increased risk of breast cancer.

Unless we are seriously to think the US pro-life movement is manipulating the scientific communities of Turkey and China is worth pursuing, we might want to examine who’s been funding the studies that concluded there is no link.

January 8, 2010 at 6:21 pm
(6) Karen Malec says:

Do a search for the following medical journal article, “Normal Breast Physiology.” It will answer many questions that have been raised here. It will explain why various pregnancy outcomes increase or decrease breast cancer risk and why. The non-medically trained person can understand it too.

More women die of the cancers that the pill causes than the cancers it prevents, so any doctor that tells you the pill is a good idea for preventing certain cancers is telling you to take a carcinogen to prevent cancer. How stupid is that?

January 10, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(7) Leslie says:

Karen,

If you’re referring to the article at ‘abortionbreastcancer(dot)com’, and while it very well be accurate, it’s still very curious (suspicious?) that it’s published by the CATHOLIC Medical Association.

January 11, 2010 at 3:58 am
(8) Chicago liposuction says:

Hi, I’m almost 28 years old, I have had a pain for a couple days now and it’s on the right side of my right breast. I’m very concerned as to what to do. I have no medical coverage and feel like I’m to young to get a mammogram. Breast cancer runs in my family. My grandma is a 12 year survivor has had it twice and has also had a double masectomy. I am also on birth control pills. What to do?

January 11, 2010 at 10:23 am
(9) Pam Stephan says:

To Leslie: The article is published in the journal “Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention” which is a division of the American Association for Cancer Research. I have found no connection with the Roman Catholic church. The issue is not one of theological or philosophical leanings, but it’s about hormones and cancer development.

January 11, 2010 at 4:00 pm
(10) missy smith says:

The connection between breast cancer, the pill, and
abortion has been suppressed for a long time as was
the connection between cigarette smoker and a myriad
of illnesses. Look at the numbers. For years on the
NIH website for doctors the risk factor for abortions
at 40% was shown, on the NIH website for other
than physicans never mentioned it. Susan B. Komen
is a front for Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood
is the larget provider of abortion in the world. Aboriton
increases the risk of breast cancer. Something sinister
is going on here. I wonder when the whistle is going
to be blown on this whole thing. And to add to the
mix is the black genocide component of Planned
Parenthood since 78% of all killing centers are put
in black neighborhoods. WAKEUP America. Blacks
have 37% of abortions and are 12% of our population.
Do the numbers and find out that means the Afro-American
will be extinct by 2029. What an evil web we weave.

January 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(11) Kim says:

The connection between abortion and breast cancer is by no means a stretch. From the moment of conception, various hormones come into play creating changes in a woman’s body. The first pregnancy is the most significant. Within the first few weeks, undifferentiated breast cells begin to turn into milk ducts. If these changes are prematurely halted as in the case of abortion, those cell changes cause cell mutations that can lead to cancer. This is not rocket science. It makes perfect sense. Sadly, the greatest increase in risk is aborting the first pregnancy, having a family history of breast cancer and being African-American all together. That risk is according to some researchers….incalculable.

The real question here is, why hasn’t the mainstream media picked this up? This study was published months ago. We’re always hearing warnings of various sorts for every little thing. But no warning on having an abortion or taking birth control pills that increase your risk of breast cancer (death). Proof that the powers that be are playing politics with women’s health. Fer shame!

January 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm
(12) Kim says:

To Chicago Liposuction- I hope you come back to read this. I’m not a doctor, but I would suggest you stop taking the pill immediately…use condoms if necessary. And most importantly, go see a doctor. From what I’ve read, pain is rarely a symptom of breast cancer…you could have fibrocystic breasts or something else. Ask if you can have Thermography. It’s painless, non-invasive and works best with younger or more dense breats. Either that or an ultrasound. Listen, just be honest with your providers that you don’t have insurance but that your health is at stake. Most will work out payment plans for you. But please don’t avoid getting help for anything because you don’t have insurance.

January 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm
(13) Marjorie says:

Epidemiological studies need to be validated, as do all studies and this one raises not only emotions but creates what could be a causal relationship where none possibly exists.

The topics of abortion, eugenics, and color create a highly volatile mix and I urge very clear and critical thinking on this topic. There’s no doubt about it, triple negative cancer in women of color appears to be far more aggressive with worse outcomes and needs to be investigated. Teasing out the reasons, which could be many and varied, is crucial.

It’s a terrible disservice to all women to assume that abortion or not breast feeding caused their cancer without rigorous and validated scientific evidence to back it up. To date, that evidence has not been provided.

If abortion has a causal relationship to breast cancer, the logical conclusion would be that breast cancer rates must be totally off the scale in China. Not so.

This is a terrible disservice and slur to women of color. Tread carefully and demand better evidence.

January 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(14) phoenix28 says:

I can’t believe that they are still trying to link abortion to breast cancer. (And inconclusively I might add.) Come on guys. I did all the right things (ate right, no birth control pills, 2 successful pregnancies after 3 miscarriages, breast fed both children for a year each, exercised and NO family history) and still got breast cancer at 45. There are reasons for this and abortion is not one of them. Get off this crap already.

January 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm
(15) Jill says:

I am 60 had breast cancer this last year (under control now I hope) I only took The Pill a year back in the 70′s. I had divorce, many heart-breaking stresses and do think this IS a trigger.(My Father worried so after my divorce, then soon developed cancer)
You know, I was NEVER asked ANY of these questions by Drs so how will they track it? They only asked about relatives so that they could charge for genealogy testing is the way I saw my “team”.

January 13, 2010 at 6:05 pm
(16) Jamie says:

Well I have never really tooken birth control, except for 4 months one time! However, I have had an abortion and 3 or 4 years later I got inflamatory breast cancer at the age of 27, after 2 children. I read about abortion and the risk of getting breast cancer somewhere before and I believe it did not help me, I do carry the BCRA2 gene, but I believe having an abortion may have just increased my risks!!

January 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(17) jamie says:

Oh I just wanted to add that my genetic advisor told me that indeed birth control increases the risk of breat cancer, but decraeses the risk of ovarian cancer. Also, I breast fed my first daughter for 8 months and with my second 5 months at which I then found out I had breast cancer.

January 16, 2010 at 1:05 pm
(18) Dawn says:

I am one of those people who have never taken birth control pills or never had an abortion. I haven’t taken birth control pills because my husband and I wanted a large family, hence the fact that I’ve never had an abortion. But has any one stopped to consider that if you are taking birth control pills, you are being responsible in preventing an uwanted pregnancy. And if you do become pregant aren’t you more likely to get an abortion. I think the link between breast cancer and abortion has more to do with the fact that women on birth control pills are more likely to get an abortion than women are not. So there is no real like between the 2 just the common factor of taking birth control pills.

January 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm
(19) Brent Rooney says:

Hello Pam Stephan,

I am a medical researcher with my main focus
on premature birth risk factors and a side
interest in breast cancer. Do prior IAs (Induced
Abortions)increase breast cancer risk? To
keep this manageable, let me only address the
Breast Cancer risk to CHILDLESS women of having
induced abortions:

1. If a woman ends her reproductive life childless
she has higher breast cancer risk than if
she had a delivery under age 30 years. One
way to remain childless is to have induced
abortions of all pregnancies (with could be
as few as one or two).

2. According to Harvard U. researchers, each one
year delay in a First Full-Term Pregnancy
(FFTP) boosts relative BC (Breast Cancer) risk
by 3.5% (compounded);i.e. a 5 year delay in FFTP
relative risk by 19% and a 10 year delay
in FFTP elevates rel. risk by 41%. If ‘Anne’
is first time pregnant at age 20, has an
induced abortion of that pregnancy, but goes
on to have a full-term delivery at age 30
her relative BC risk is 41% compared to having
had a full-term delivery at age 20. (The Harvard
U. study was published in the International
Journal of Cancer 1983, volume 31,pages 701-704;
newer studies just confirm this 1983 study)

3. More than one prior IA more than doubles
a woman’s risk of having a delivery at age
35 or above according to a 2001 study of
French women published in the BJOG (British
Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology).

……………………………………….

I dare any doctor or medical researcher to contra-
dict anything I have written above.

For Peaceful Pregnancies,
Brent Rooney (MSc)
Research Director, Reduce Preterm Risk Coalition
3456 Dunbar St. (Suite 146)
Vancouver, Canada V6S 2C2
web: http://www.jpands.org/vol13no4/rooney.pdf

January 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm
(20) Bhutto says:

The breast cancer link to STEROIDS has been around for years now, as confirmed by the Mayo Clinic meta analysis from October, 2006.

It has just been suppressed. The pharmaceutical companies have way too much money and power (over the media in particualr).

The abortion link is just as common sensical, but politics has a way of getting in the way of scienec as we know. Just look at where the breast cancer rate is the worst in the world (USA is now #1, btw) – and where it is not. It’s a slam dunk. Countries that embraced the pill, and then the abortions – have paid the price in the countless lost lives of women ever since.

In 1960 when the pill arrived in the USA, 1 in 25 women got breast cancer. In 1973 (Roe/Wade) it has shot up to one in 14. After decades of both, it’s now one in 8!

But you think you’re gunna here this in the new York Times or on the nightly news?! LOL How much did you hear about the Mayo Clinic study?

I’ll give you credit, Pam, you at least have dared post just a little reality. I can only imagine how much hell you must be catching from the the people who own this site (NYT), and from all those rich and powerful people desperate to keep this medical science suppressed.

Meanwhile, men have to go on national TV to APOLOGIZE for taking steroids!

January 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm
(21) Nick says:

I have a question but I’m not sure if anyone really knows the answer. My girlfriend (19) is kind of iffy about taking birth control pills, but for obvious reasons she does want to have sex without me having to use a condom.

It seems that the biggest issue is an increased chance of breast cancer, but at the same time the pill prevents ovarian cancer. Since there are both pros and cons I guess she may as well take them then.

So the question is should she take the pill or not? If possible maybe someone who has studied this topic at large can give his/her oppionion. Thanks.

January 20, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(22) Brent Rooney says:

Hello Nick,

You asked about your girl friend taking the
birth control pill and the safety of that.
[I favor MARRIAGE, not live-in relationships,
but that is an issue for future discussion.]
First, please be aware that OCs (Oral Contraceptives) have MANY serious adverse
side-effects, including STROKE, liver cancer,
breast cancer (which is MORE important than
any reduction in ovarian cancer risk), and
higher future risk of a PREMATURE baby (when
the woman goes ‘off the pill’). A big
expert on NATURAL birth control (aka FAM
(Fertility Awareness Method)) I am NOT.
Since FAM is SAFE, less expensive than OCs,
and as effective (if the couple has at least
reaonable MOTIVATION), why settle for DANGEROUS
OCs??? If you and your ‘mate’
are truly concerned with HER health, please
do some reading PRONTO about FAM; the
author name of Toni Welscher (?sp) comes
to mind (I read her book about 6 months back).
Good luck.

Brent Rooney (MSc; email: fullterm40@gmail.com)

March 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm
(23) CLIFYLQ says:

SUSAN G. KOMEN SUPPORTS BREAST CANCER WITH OBAMACARE ABORTIONS – NO ONE DESERVES A LIFE TIME

It is especially appalling that even the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation which sponsors the Race for the Cure in many locations around the country gives a portion of its funds to Planned Parenthood. (See our July 18, 2001 press release regarding the Komen Foundation) Surely Komen’s medical experts would agree that the delay of a first full-term pregnancy results in increased risk of breast cancer. No self-respecting medical expert would dare to disagree.

One of the difficulties with anti-cancer organizations is that radical feminists took up the breast cancer cause in the 1980′s. They saw this as a means of championing women’s rights, so it must have come as a surprise to them when they learned that their dominant concern — abortion — caused breast cancer. Once it became apparent that they had a conflict between abortion ideology and protecting women’s health, abortion won hands down!

April 11, 2010 at 10:51 am
(24) Christina says:

You should read “The China Study” by T. Colin Campbell. It’s highly enlightening with regards to cancer & diet. There is something everyone can do to prevent cancer. It’s just not profitable for doctors & pharmaceutical companies to promote it.

April 21, 2010 at 5:57 am
(25) OLAYINKA OLAWORE says:

AM HIGHLY MOVE BY THIS REVELATION OF BIRTH CONTROL PILLS TO BREAST CANCER BECAUSE WE IN AFRICA ESPECIALLY NIGERIA ARE TOLD IS ANOTHER WAY TO BE HEALTHY BUT NOW, THE DISADVANTAGE IS MORE THAN THE ADVANTAGE. CAN YOU SUGGEST THE WAY OUT FOR, MANY WOMEN ARE IGNORANCE OF THIS INCLUDING MY WIFE.

April 21, 2010 at 11:24 am
(26) Pam Stephan says:

If your wife has a family history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer, you may want to consider other ways of preventing conception. Barrier methods like condoms, IUDs work well if used properly. Spermicide is also a good way to go. And if your family is complete now, consider surgery to prevent
conception, if other methods can’t be used.

Please know that the connection with birth control pills and Triple Negative Breast Cancer is controversial and not conclusively proven – but it has been suggested by one study.

May 15, 2010 at 5:32 am
(27) Breast Cancer says:

Breast cancer is biggest issue in a current scenario as our cancer researcher are not able to fight on last stage of cancer.

To fight breast cancer make breast cancer awareness.

October 25, 2010 at 7:11 am
(28) kris says:

My understanding about the so-called “ABC” risk linking abortion to higher cancer risk is this: there is evidence that suggests women who have given birth are at decreased risk for cancer. Therefore, data shows that there are more women of the “abortion group” who eventually develop cancer than those of the “birthing group.”

But if everyone who births a child is at a decreased risk, wouldn’t this be an example of “correlation does not necessarily imply causation?” As far as I know, there is no evidence showing that there is any increased “risk” in having an abortion, only that there is DECREASED risk in not having one. In other words, that choosing to have an abortion has the same cancer “risk” as not getting pregnant in the first place…

I also understand the political incentive for people to distort the information or leave out important details about the research. This happens all the time with research, regardless of political views. Politics aside, I want to clarify because young women who have (or had) to face the decision to possibly have an abortion are fragile enough without the added stress and confusion of thinking they may give themselves cancer. I would recommend those young women examine the actual studies themselves.

December 16, 2010 at 10:37 am
(29) john1513 says:

This will be ignored because it attacks the feminist holy sacraments of contraception and abortion which enslave, ahem, free women from the evil male.

In other news, cigarette links to cancer took 6 decades to be widely reported by the media. How long has “the pill” been around?

January 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(30) Rebecca says:

It is interesting the disagreement within the female population regarding increased risk of cancers due to artificial hormone use from contraception and increased risk due to induced abortions. I wonder if some of you are not in some sort of denial. Maybe hoping it away it will not happen!
It is really common sense. Think about the famale body. We are meant to have monthly periods for a reason. We are meant to ovulate for a reason. Hormone changes occur in our breasts in preparation for child birth from the moment of conception. These facts are all undeniable. But yet many opt to disrupt the natural course of events! This disruption of course puts us at greater risk for cancers. Just like smoking increases our risk for lung and other cancers because of the introduction of artificial chemicals. The same is with artificial hormones! The same is with instantaneiously disrupting a pregnancy.

February 4, 2011 at 1:38 am
(31) Chynna says:

Elizabeth, i wrote a college paper about the link between
abortion and breast cancer. Here goes.

When a woman becomes pregnant, her breasts develop, producing and multiplying cells to produce milk, preparing it for breast feeding. The only way you can stop this mass production of cells from your breast is to carry on with the pregnancy itself. Abortion is an unnatural procedure that the body will not know when to stop cells from developing. Thus, malignant cancer cells in the breasts form.

Thats pretty much how it is in simple terms. It is very scientific,; i wish i can provide you the links to the studies, but i wrote the paper for a long time. Look up studies online! :)

September 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(32) Patricia Cornell says:

Natural Familiy Planning (NFP) is the best way of controling fertility. The Creighton Model is excellent. No cost, just keeping tract of the woman’s menstral cycle after some initial training by a certified NFP person.

No effects on the body AND a less than 3% rate of divorce vs. the current over 50% rate. So who wants a safe way to control one’s fertility and who wants a strong marriage.

What questions!

Go to the internet and get educated. Abortion and making women’s bodies chemical waste dumps really must end!

Patricia in St. Louis, MO

October 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(33) Teresa Emmot says:

to answer someone’s question about the Abortion link to Increased Risk of Breast Cancer. the difference between Spontaneous Abortion (Miscarriage) and clinical Abortion is simply this – Miscarriage is the body’s way of saying something is wrong with the pregnancy and naturally terminates it. since it is Natural the Hormones naturally readjust. However, clinical Abortion, is someone’s decision to Terminate pregnancy with NO medical supportive reason. Since it is AGAINST everything our bodies have been CREATED by God to do, the Hormones are confused. anything UNNATURAL will confuse your body and ill reprecussions will more than likely follow….

January 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm
(34) Sandy Otto says:

First to Chicago liposuction, pain can be a sign in some breast cancers; please get to a doctor! I had an intern this summer that had one of them and did not have insurance. We live in Texas and found an expedited program for young women w/ breast cancer on Medicaid. She had a double mastectomy/radiation-saved her life. Also, a fund raiser helped w/ related expenses. Check it out in your state. Worst case, get treatment – declare bankruptcy. A good credit record is not as important as your life!

As to studies/controversy, I have read many of them, and the better double-blinded studies do support the link. It is, however, an increased risk, not cause, and interactions between causes have yet to be researched. No woman should ever be told (or believe) that any one factor caused her breast cancer; it is not only untrue but cruel. I have wondered, as pregnancies do reduce rates & there are years long lists of people waiting to adopt, why many young women don’t just carry to term and release the child for adoption. That said, I have to acknowledge that what is politically correct plays a part in nearly everything, including what research is funded. The number of women I have met who talk about regret, grief, nightmares and open abuse at abortion centers years later has been a major factor in shifting my opinion on the subject.

Leslie, as Pam said, the article was originally published in the journal “Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention” but I think it was later excerpted by the Catholic Medical Association.

In addition to being safer, the Creighton method has the same 99% efficacy as the pill with none of the dangers and side effects (migraines is one that had not entered the discussion and I was told about that by a pro-contraception doctor in 1970). The Creighton method also has a higher rate of pregnancy with “infertility” that more common and invasive treatments.

January 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(35) Sandy Otto says:

Further comment:
Another statistic that was not quoted (the second factor that changed my opinion about birth control and abortion) is the percentage of abortions reported in anonymous surveys to have been forced or coerced by boyfriends, family members, employers, and pimps. I have yet to see a figure lower than 60% and they go up to 78%. I have myself seen a mother with a gun forcing a young woman into a P P Abortion Clinic.

Finally, I ask women to stick together by sharing facts and experience, and not using tactics like labeling, slurs, and dismissing. If we want to be Pro-Choice, why can’t we equally validate and support women who want a career and no children and those that want ten children including providing assistance with delivery while providing free birth control/abortions?

February 3, 2012 at 11:09 am
(36) Eddie200112 says:

Its funny these studies that claim the ABC link also discredit it with their own conclusions. They are saying that delaying a full term pregnancy increases your risk of breast cancer. So a woman who is 30 and never was pregnant has the same increased breast cancer risk as a woman whos 30 who may have had an abortion at say age 23. If they were honest researchers there paper should headline, “Full term pregnancy at early age reduces breast cancer risk.”
Just annoying pro-lifer agenda to scare and shame women.

February 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(37) DEE says:

First as parents we need to be the ones educating our childern about the hidden agendas of places like planed parenthood. We need to lead by example reseach what we put in our body the side effects.We are lazy we rather trust a doctor to tell us a feww minor side effects are

February 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm
(38) eddie200112 says:

Hidden Agendas? Are you on crack? If it wasnt for planned parenthood educating and helping women our communities would be in worse shape than they are now. Do you hate women, responsibility, health, and education?

February 10, 2012 at 9:54 am
(39) Joann says:

Eddie,
Planned Parenthood advocates sex for all, even children as young as 10 years old. Google “Stand and Deliver 2010″. They do not value abstinence. See where they state that children as young as 10 have the “right” to privacy to have sex.

Google their brochure targeting HIV+youth called “Healthy, Happy, and Hot” where they state that countries that force HIV+ individuals to disclose their status to their sex partners violate the HIV+ person’s rights.

Planned Parenthood has quite a bit of responsibility for unplanned pregnancies and our STD crisis.

February 11, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(40) sara says:

Having an abortion increases your rick for breast cancer.
When you become pregnant, your breasts begin producing cells that will produce milk. When the pregnancy is abruptly ended, those can turn into cancer cells.

I too, took birth control back in the mid to late 90s due to vaginal bleeding.
I ended up with breast cancer at 41, with no family history.

February 13, 2012 at 10:27 am
(41) eddie200112 says:

Sorry Joann and Sara. But you are both very wrong!
There is no link between abotion and breast cancer. Even the flawed studies that support it if correctly interpreted tell you there is no link! I mean seriously read through these papers carefully and think independently! Theres no link! Second planned parenthood does not advocate 10yr olds having sex but we know it happens and they dont deny it. I take it your one of the crazies who beleives abstinence only sex ed would decrease pregnancy and std rates! Well guess what we already know that doesnt work and actually increases the risks, because people will still have sex but they wont know how to protect themselves!
And the HIV+ thing isnt meant to encourage people with hiv to have sex with people without it but it is a right to not have to disclose your status, but they do say in that brochure that telling your partner about your status is recommended. SO PLEASE QUIT SPOUTING LIES!!

February 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(42) jeannette says:

I was so passionate about this subject that i had to say — there our four girls in my family — three used birth control one did not. three that used birth control had breast cancer. thank you

February 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(43) eddie200112 says:

nice try adding on to jeanette’s post to twist it to urr fit opinion acting like someone else is pretty shady

February 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(44) Marilyn Everett says:

I am beginning to think there is more to the birth control pill and abortions causing cancer when I see how many of my friends have died at such a young ages of breast cancer. Surely, women should be counciled on the awareness of this study and be able to make a better choice for their body. I, too, took BC pills when they first came out. My family does not have a history of breast history and that may be in my favor. It just seems that so many more women are getting breast cancer more now than in the past before they knew what BC pills and abortions could do to a woman’s body. We need more studies and more information should be put out to educate the young women in this society. I’m not hearing any of this anywhere in cancer awareness having anything to do with BC pills or abortions.

February 27, 2012 at 10:04 am
(45) eddie200112 says:

The rates of breast cancer have not increased in the last few decades. Just like all other cancers our detection and diagnosis of them have increased because we can spot them better. Same with autism, the rates of autism havent gone up just our ability to recognize it!

March 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm
(46) MissS1279 says:

I just wonder what would happen if the pill would cease to exist. What if women actually had to LEARN when they are fertile… LEARN about their cycles.

My opinion is that children are a gift from God. I just wish that they would be treated as such.

It’s hard to see/hear stories of women killing their own flesh and blood for whatever reason, when there are thousands, if not millions of women (including myself) who would cherish these unplanned, unwanted babies.

What would happen to breast cancer stats if the pill simply vanished? I only wish I knew.

(32 years old, don’t believe in artificial contraception, TTC 3 years.)

March 6, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(47) KMKD says:

Whenever we choose to ingest a pill for any reason – we will be faced with side affects. Women have readily been given the birth control pill for many decades now. The warnings and side affects related to the pill are tremendous and women potentially suffer with the possibility of breast cance, infertility, and the like. What a shame and what a cost to women. Perhaps we should truly think about our choices.

March 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm
(48) eddie200112 says:

Whether you beleive in god or not shouldnt matter when it comes to other peoples choices to abort. And No there are not enough people waiting to adopt that if all abortion stopped that all the babies could find a home. What would really happen is that crime, poverty, unemployment, and hunger would skyrocket. Not to mention the vast increase in Welfare usage!

April 5, 2012 at 2:40 am
(49) Cha Ching Queen (Rachel) says:

Any BRCA + breast cancer survivors taking birth control pills to lower risk of ovarian cancer? I was triple negative and ok’d to take the pill. I haven’t actually started yet, but my doctor said the risk of getting ovarian cancer is now higher than risk of recurrence of breast cancer for me. I’m 33 and not yet ready to remove my ovaries.

I had a bilateral mastectomy 2 years ago with 4 rounds of chemo.

thanks, Rachel

April 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(50) eddie200112 says:

Rachel have you ever been on birth control before?

June 20, 2012 at 4:34 am
(51) TRUTHSEEKER says:

This is a very good article. I just wanted to share for any young women who might be contiplating abortion. I had my first pregnancy at 25, considered options as it was an unplanned pregnancy. I am glad I had him and breastfeed him for 6 months and have never taken a birthcontrol pill.

I am concerned with the women of my generation, who take pills like its candy and have had at least one abortion. What will be the future of their health say some 10 to 20 years from now?

THERE ARE NATURAL CONTRACEPTIVES OUT THERE!!!

July 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm
(52) Maternity Clothes Australia says:

This is the only time I’ve been to your site. Thanks for sharing more information.

July 28, 2012 at 5:26 am
(53) rochelljay says:

It’s amazing for me to see a web page, which is useful in support of my experience.

August 17, 2012 at 7:21 am
(54) bridgette says:

I was recommended this web site by my cousin.
I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such
details about my problem. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

December 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(55) Jochen Armbruster says:

Birth control pills tell the brain, you are pregnant, so the pituitary makes no FSH, without FSH no ovulation no corpus luteum, without corpus luteum no progesteron, without progesteron you are estradiol dominant, if you are estrogen dominant long enought you may get sick of breastcancer (beside all the other horrible sideeffects of the birth control pills). One of seven woman in the USA and Germany today develop breastcancer. I have many female patients, all with the same history: Birth control pills for over 20 years or synthetic pseudohormones or even horse hormones of pregnant mares >> breastcancer. It is a biochemical physiologic law. Millions of women became sick of breastcancer, ovariancancer and uteruscancer because of using artificial, patentable pseudo-hormones.
Jochen Armbruster, physician, Darmstadt / Germany,

February 11, 2013 at 4:06 am
(56) anne donohue says:

There will always be women who did not take birth control pills and have breast cancer.I had a bad cancer 22 years ago and never took birth control pills, if I had, my cancer would have been more aggressive and I would probably be dead by now. But I had also double mastectomy without reconstruction.
I am convinced that the birth control pills is the cause of so many breast cancer cases in younger women younger than 45.
Nobody wants to affirm it. The birth control pill is so useful to the producers, to everybody in general. Why should producer finance studies which would be against the sale of their pills, against their interest ?
It will never change and the younger women will continue to be victims of aggressive breast cancer and pay with their life.

Women should stop taking the pill at a young age and for more than 6/7 years.

March 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(57) Isabel says:

I have been saying for years that the increased incidence of breast cancer in women today (1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during their lifetime) is highly related to the use of the high-estrogen-level birth control pills of the 1960s and 1970s. It’s a no-brainer. Why are we not clearly told this? Think about it. $$$$. The pharmaceutical industry does not want to go there (lack of future revenue)…. and neither does the medical profession (lawsuits from women now developing estrogen-receptive breast cancer). We need to be getting mammograms every year; we need to tell our daughters to get mammograms every year, and if they want to prevent LCIS, also get a sonogram. And… perhaps the MAN should be involved in birth control. The women are taking 100% of the health risk when they take “the pill.” This needs to be re-thought. The miracle of the pill is now being replaced with the sadness of mastectomies, moms on chemo, and untimely deaths. Enough is enough! My generation was the experiment. Alright, already. Now we know that the estrogen in the pill takes its toll in our later years. Isn’t it time that our daughters have this information?? To hell with the protocols of the medical industry…. this information needs to get out there. Take a look at an article by Dr. Samuel F Epstein, Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition. That’ll make you think.