1. Health

Recycle Your Wigs for Earth Day

By April 22, 2008

Robin Roberts
Robin Roberts
Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
Samantha was my favorite wig during chemo. She always looked perfect, was easy to shampoo and style, and once she almost fooled a cosmetic expert! But a year after my chemo was complete, I felt I could part with "Sam", so I recycled her! Here's what you can do with your wigs and hairpieces after you complete treatment for breast cancer:
Comments
March 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm
(1) E Franklin says:

I have a very old, stretched wig, (very ugly), would you be able to use it? If so, where do I send it? If it can be recycled, that would be great. Thanks for all you do.

April 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm
(2) maladie says:

I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin. I’m not positive whether this submit is written by way of him as no one else recognize such precise about my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks!

July 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(3) Lisa Beyer says:

I called the American Cancer Center in Lubbock, TX and the woman I talked to seemed a little upset that I was asking if they accepted wigs. They do not accept used wigs. My mom passed away recently and she had 5 very nice wigs and I cannot bring myself to trash them. Please don’t tell people that the American Cancer Society will take the wigs because they do not.

July 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(4) Gail K. says:

I spoke to my local region office and they will only accept new wigs with the tag still on it. I live on Long Island and apparently it is against health codes to accept even gently used wigs. I would’ve thought that it would be up to the recipient to receive these gently used wigs with the understanding that they are, in fact, used and that they need to be professionally cleaned before wearing them. It is a shame that perfectly good items will now end up in the trash.

February 28, 2013 at 9:19 pm
(5) Julie Marten says:

as a ACS american Cancer Sociotey Volumteer, i was shocked to find out the same that the local ASC would not accept from individuals old wigs for donation, that’s where though the support of the clients and local community we formed recycledwig.org. We are licensed hair stylist that understand how to manufacture and repair wigs. After all a human hair wigs starts from a human. So we take to time to sanitize the hair piece and make in functional then certify the Hair to be able to reintroduce to a patent that needs a wig, so if you or someone you know needs a wigs we can help Wigs are offered at NO CHARGE to someone gong through Chemo therapy and then we ask those that can help by donating to participate in either donating a wig, their time, or other resources to make the program function.

February 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm
(6) Julie Marten says:

as a ACS american Cancer Society Volunteer, i was shocked to find out the same that the local ASC would not accept from individuals old wigs for donation, that’s where though the support of the clients and local community we formed recycled wig dot org. We are licensed hair stylist that understand how to manufacture and repair wigs. After all a human hair wigs starts from a human. So we take to time to sanitize the hair piece and make in functional then certify the Hair to be able to reintroduce to a patent that needs a wig, so if you or someone you know needs a wigs we can help Wigs are offered at NO CHARGE to someone gong through Chemo therapy and then we ask those that can help by donating to participate in either donating a wig, their time, or other resources to make the program function.